Home Australia

Everything about the Health Examination for the Working Holiday Visa Australia

With these tips, you can easily pass the medical test for the Australian Working Holiday Visa

X-Ray of Chest for the Health Examination Working Holiday Visa Australia
X-Ray of Chest for the Health Examination

A health examination is only required for the Working Holiday Visa in rare exceptions. For example, if you want to work in a hospital, or with children (for instance at a school), or if there are signs that your state of health does not meet the requirements.

Tip: If you have to do the medical exam, try to do this as soon as possible to prevent a further delay in your visa application. The results often have to be forwarded to the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth in Australia, which often delays the issue of the visa.

When is a health examination required for the Working Holiday Visa?

The medical examination for the Work and Travel Visa depends on the following factors:

  • Whether your country is tuberculosis-endangered or if you have been exposed to tuberculosis risk
  • What kind of activities do you want to pursue in Australia, such as work in the health sector or with children
  • Significant diseases
  • Exceptional circumstances

A disease, such as HIV, does not automatically mean your visa will be rejected. However, if there is a risk of tuberculosis, the Australian government is very strict.

Health exam for longer stays in countries with high tuberculosis risk

One reason for a health check up is if you have been in a country (or countries) with high tuberculosis risk for more than 3 consecutive months in the last 5 years.

This includes the following countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, China, Serbia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Vietnam.

So you can easily travel to Australia via one of these countries if you do not stay there for more than 3 months.

Planned activities in the Australian health sector

If you are planning to work in the health sector in Australia, a health examination is usually required. You also have to undergo HIV and a hepatitis test.

Diseases as a threat to Australia’s public health

In addition to tuberculosis, Australia is also very concerned about the following diseases: HIV and hepatitis, yellow fever, polio and Ebola. These diseases are classified as dangers to public health. Find out more here.

Which medical exams do I have to do during the health examination?

For the Working Holiday visa, a medical test, an X-ray image of the chest and a HIV and hepatitis test can be carried out as part of the health examination.

X-ray examination of the chest

An examination of the chest is necessary in the following cases:

  • If you are a citizen of a state with high tuberculosis risk. Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Italy, France and Belgium are not considered to be countries with high tuberculosis risk.
  • If you have stayed in a country with high tuberculosis risk for more than 3 months in the past 5 years.
  • If you want to work in Australia in a hospital or nursing home or retirement center.
  • If you seek work in a child care center or nursery.

X-ray examination and medical examination

In addition to an X-ray examination of the chest, a medical examination is also necessary in the following cases:

  • If there are signs that you do not fulfill the health requirements.
  • If you study or work for more than 4 weeks in a classroom-like environment.

HIV and hepatitis test for the health care sector

If you want to work in Australia in the health sector, you also have to do a HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C test.

The Australian immigration department reserves the right to ask for further medical examinations at any time.

What do I have to do before the health examination?

If a health test is required, you will be informed about that after you have submitted the visa application. The medical examination must be carried out by a so-called panel clinic or “migration medical services provider clinic“. Here you can get the list of certified clinics.

You will receive a so-called Health Identifier (HAP ID) for your medical examination. In addition, you must do the so-called eMedical client process before the medical check up. You can do this via your ImmiAccount for which you need your surname, HAP ID and date of birth.

When you do the eMedical Client, you have to answer some questions with yes or no. Most questions you can certainly answer with no. For questions, which you answer with yes, you have to specify further details.

Finally, you have to print the eMedical referral letter. To do this, click on Generate referral letter and then on Print referral letter.

Do not worry about the single steps. You will get the exact instructions by the Immigration Department, if the medical visit is necessary in your case.

The exact steps how to arrange a medical test are also listed on the official site of the Australian immigration authority.

What do you have to bring to the medical exam?

You must bring your HAP ID and a valid passport to the health examination.

You should also bring along:

  • The eMedical referral letter
  • Glasses or contact lenses (if required)
  • Existing medical reports
  • Previous x-rays of the chest

If you have lived in one or more of the following countries for more than 28 days since May 5, 2014, you must also bring a certificate of polio vaccination: Afghanistan, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Israel, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia or Syria.

Which compulsory vaccinations do I have to get for the Working Holiday Visa?

There are no prescriptive vaccinations for the Working Holiday Visa for Australia.

Caution: If you are entering a country with high risk of yellow fever, you may be required to give proof of a valid yellow fever vaccination. These include Central Africa and parts of South America. This is required if you have been in such a country within 6 years before you enter Australia.

Backpackers belong to “risk groups”, because they live under simple travel conditions. Therefore vaccination against hepatitis A and B is also recommended.

We all didn’t get any vaccination for Australia and have survived it without any problems. We do not want to tell you not to make any vaccinations, but we also don’t mean to unnecessarily scare you, if you choose not to get a vaccination. You will be fine. But it could be a good opportunity for you to refresh your vaccinations. Talk about it with your doctor or pharmacist.

Should something happen, you should still have a travel insurance.

You can find all information on health requirements for the Working Holiday Visa on the official website of the Australian Immigration Service.

Medical Examination for the Working Holiday Visa Australia
Medical Examination for the Working Holiday Visa Australia

If still have any questions, please leave a comment! Did you do a medical test yourself? We would love to hear about it.

P.S. Find all articles about the Working Holiday Visa for Australia here: travelgott.com/australia/working-holiday-visa.

Are our articles helpful? Like us on Facebook!


  1. Hello! I´ve just paid for my whv and also need to get medical exams done since I travelled for 6 months in Asia in 2017. Do you know how long it takes after I submit the results of my exams to get my visa approved? It´s just that I will be 31 in January 2nd and wanted my visa to be approved before that, just to be on the safe side…

    Thanks, Marta

  2. Just so people know, it’s quite expensive. Mine was £275. It’s different prices at different places and this was the cheapest in January. Thanks

  3. Hello
    Do you know if I can also refuse to do a medical test and don’t come tot Australia? (With getting my money for the Visa back?

  4. Hello! What a great article! I still have a question. It says:
    “This includes the following countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, China, Serbia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Vietnam.”
    Nepal and Thailand are not on this list? I’d think they also have a high tuberculosis risk?
    Also, I’ve been backpacking for 8 months in SE Asia 2 years ago. 4 countries, only 2 months per country, but toally 8 months consecutive.
    Do I have to answer Yes or No in the visa application (have you spent 3 months or more in the last 5 years in a different country?)
    It would be great to hear from you! 🙂

    • Hi Robin! So sorry, this comment got totally lost. This is the list from the immigration department and we believe it is complete. To our knowledge it also does not apply if you stayed in each country for less than 3 months. We would tick NO, but please keep in mind that we do not offer legal services 🙂 Safe travels!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here